Monday, February 2, 2009

My Candlemas/Imbolc Celebration

Holding true to my resolutions to implement other religions and denominations into my own personal worship time, I celebrated my variation of Candlemas & Imbolc this year for the first time.

I won't give you a history or theology lesson on what each of these are because you can easily find that with a google search if you are so inclined. However, each of these holiday's speak of Spring, purification, light, fire, birth, harvest....basically new beginnings. I took something from each to create this little altar.

The altar included: a mosaic cross that my sister made me; incense; candles (of course); fresh flowers; a few pieces of Christmas tree branch that I still had; a twig of fresh rosemary; Bible; Celtic worship music, Spirit flute music, pottery bowl, pen & paper.

First I put on the Celtic music and lit a candle in every room of my apartment, even the bathroom. Then I displayed the goods as beautifully as I could and lit more candles and incense. I danced around to the music for awhile and then I sat down in front of the altar. I sang softly with the music and thought about why I worship Jesus and what worship meant. I just sang and talked to God and wrote things on the paper that were on my heart. Things that I was sorry for, worried about, sick and tired of, & the names of people that I loved and want the best for. Each time that I wrote something, I tore it from the page and folded it up making a little pile of requests. Then I just asked The Lord to take care of them for me, to lift the burden of anything that wasn't mine. I asked God to help me start fresh and free from my worries and regrets of the past year and to help me move forward and to believe in my dreams again. Then I read from The Psalms for awhile.

Once the Celtic music was done I put in the Spirit Flute music. While the music played I proceeded to burn, in my pottery bowl, all of my pieces of paper, the Christmas tree twigs, and the rosemary. Watching it burn was a great visual of my worries being burned with it.

I kept these ashes to remind me that my past is gone and forgiven. I am a new creation in Christ. He is my Spring, my new beginning - each and everyday.

3 comments:

Becky and Stacey said...

Wow... I need to do this... like everyday! I loved seeing the cross I made for you in these pictures! Your blog is so cool!

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow, this is sooooo beautiful, I love everything about your ritual celebration!

Marylin Houle said...

Wow that's pretty cool, I've never known anyone who is Christian to embrace a Pagan holiday like that... awesome.